Cataracts are a natural age-related change THAT WE ALL DEVELOP to some degree during our lifetime. They sound scary, but really cataract development can end up being a positive eye care experience when handled appropriately.Read More
Stonewire Optometry provides emergency eye care services. Whether you’re an established patient or new to our eye care clinic, we are here to help. Our team of optometrists are trained to handle most eye care emergencies that you may experience; and our clinic is equipped with the latest diagnostic equipment to aid in both the diagnosis and education of your eye condition.
Did you know? Emergency eye care services are covered under Alberta Health Care. Simply show your Alberta Health Care card at the time of the examination.
Should your eye care emergency require the immediate services of an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon), our optometrists will ensure that you are referred immediately to the local on-call ophthalmologist. If your eye condition is less urgent but a referral is still required, they will refer you to the appropriate ophthalmologist that specializes in your condition.
As with any medical emergency it’s important to be proactive. If you feel that you need to be seen an eye doctor, please don’t wait until the end of the day to call or walk-in. It’s important to contact our clinic as soon as possible to ensure that you get timely appropriate eye care.
Important: If you should experience an eye emergency after regular business hours that you feel is serious and warrants immediate medical attention, please proceed directly to the Royal Alexandra Hospital emergency department. You may also contact Alberta Health Link at their new 811 number to get medical assistance from a registered nurse.
If it’s determined during a routine or emergency eye examination that you require the care of an ophthalmologist, our eye doctors will help take care of the rest. The eye doctors at Kingsway Optometry work closely with many Edmonton based ophthalmologists to ensure that you have access to the appropriate health care provider.
Ophthalmology specialties available in Edmonton include:
- Retina Specialists
- Cornea Specialists
- Glaucoma Specialists
- Genetic Specialists
- Oculoplastic Specialists
- Pediatric Specialists
- Strabismus Specialists
- General Specialists
Ophthalmology Referral Process
- All referrals start off with a comprehensive eye health examination by one of our optometrists.
- Your optometrist will write a referral letter and call the ophthalmologists office to schedule your appointment.
- Depending on your eye condition and the urgency, patients will be seen right away, or up to 6 month. Most patients though are usually seen within 2-6 weeks.
- Our office will call you with your appointment information.
- Our office will also mail you a letter outlining your appointment information.
- The ophthalmologists office will usually send a follow-up letter outlining the diagnosis, chosen treatment plan, and any follow-up care that may be required.